Tuesday, October 28, 2008

CHANGE GONE COME


I met Joshua Watkins on an elevator. Let him tell it, I was “mean muggin” and didn’t seem approachable. Over the years I’ve tried to come up with a good excuse. “I must have been in deep thought. I’m always thinking about a project, a lecture, a philm, a shoot...” It didn’t work.

Despite our rocky beginning, we hit it off well later. He came by my office one day. He was listening to some music. I asked him what he was listening to. He said, “Just some tracks that I put together”.

They proved to be much more than just some tracks. This dude was nice. We had a conversation and immediately took interest in each other. He had the most genuine, open, humble spirit of anyone I had met in a while. It was the type of spirit that lets you know that this person has tapped into something great. It was the type of spirit that invites you to draw from the same well.

I told him that if he would let me, I wanted to help him promote his work. I told him I wanted to do a shoot and put together a press kit for him at no cost.

He was geeked. We built upon our friendship. We set up a time for his first “photo shoot”. We continue to help each other grow.

This was a couple of years ago. The prophetic nature of this song, the archived photos, the vintage footage, this current election combined to make this latest philm.

CHANGE GONE COME.


No comments: